Acai Berry is a grape-like fruit with dark purple color which grow commonly in the Amazon rain forests. The acai fruit has a large seed and thin flesh so it was considered useless until some local surfers and sport people claimed that the berry juice can boost their energy. It tastes like fruity red wine with some chocolate. Acai has been known to be a great benefits to our body, but does this claim strong enough or it’s just a myth? Thankfully it’s not just a myth. Scientists figured out that this acai berry is having some properties that would make it beneficial for human bodies.
Here’s five proven Acai Berries wellness properties:
- One of the world’s highest ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity) food, which means antioxidants contained in it can neutralise free radicals more effectively. Acai known contains more than twice of antioxidants of blueberries and nearly ten times of grapes. Anthocyanins, antioxidants contained in acai berry are good to promote a healthy heart. It prevents cholesterol from oxidizing which may cause arterial blockages.
- The fibre contained in acai berries skin and pulp can do a favor on the digestion system. Acai berries offer about 14g in every 100g of freeze dried Acai powder. This is an incredibly strong fiber profile, even among other foods. Fiber is essential to the proper function of our digestive system and helps all other body systems work together smoothly. It can prevent and relieve constipation.
- Amino acids contained in acai berries can increase muscle performance, releasing more energy and maintain the strength and endurance.
- As any other berries, acai berries contains Vitamin C along with Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3 and E. Acai berries also contain minerals such as calcium, zinc, copper and magnesium.
- Acai berry also holds high concentration of essential fatty acid similar to olive oil which also known for promoting good heart and nervous system.
Acai Berry is also well-known for it’s usage on :
- Fighting disease, virus and cancer. Acai Berry high antioxidant content can promote prevention of cancer and tumour. It also stimulates the body immune system so virus attack could be suppressed. Nutrients contained in acai berry also restore energy and vitality which may leads into other wellness aspects such as anti-aging.
- Weight loss diets. Acai Berry can suppress appetite naturally – the fiber contained on the skin and pulp is good for the digestive system. It also helps regulating the cholesterol and blood sugar level (diabetes).
- Heart and blood circulation system care. The fatty acid, vitamins and minerals and anti-oxidants content on acai berry will promote a good heart and blood circulation system condition – which will prevent cardiovascular diseases, maintain blood pressure and make sleep more restorative.
- Skin, eyes and hair care. Acai Berry high antioxidant content also good for suppressing the skin aging process. It also promotes healthy eyes, nails and hair.
- Check the release of ORAC data here from USDA
- de Souza, Melina Oliveira, et al. “Diet supplementation with acai (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) pulp improves biomarkers of oxidative stress and the serum lipid profile in rats.” Nutrition 26.7 (2010): 804-810.